Montag, 20. August 2007

Stifter, right-side-up and upside-down

Here are two of Stifter's paintings.

I was happy to see that one's in fact in the Belvedere; before learning this, I had felt bad that he is not so recognized for his paintings, though the Bergkristall was in fact in part inspired by someone else's painting. I've found his stories to be very visual and easy to imagine, that's perhaps part of the thrill. The first picture reminds me of Boehlingen & Singen in Germany, where the buildings which are 200 years old are still standing:


Wiener Vorstaedthaeuser. Gemaelde, 1939. (Oesterreichische Galerie Belvedere, Wien)

The second looks like it could be anywhere; I like the distribution of light and shadow and the folding at the back. I have also been experimenting with putting my hand over different parts of it; if one covers the right-hand portion, the left cliff looks like a dog or a bear, with its paws falling over the waterfall. If one covers the shadow part of this on the left, it looks as though the part with light is a face, perhaps of a young boy with dirty blonde hair. It also looks as though the part in the shadow on the right contains a masculine profile which is looking toward the cliff in the light. Turned upside-down, it looks as though there is a baby being born or wrapped up in something and hanging upside-down in the right-hand part which is in shadow, or as though there is another face on top of it, perhaps a mother holding a kid, or just two people sleeping upside-down in the rock face. I would have to see the real thing to check this out for sure, I think.




Felspartie. Ölgemälde von Adalbert Stifter
On the left is the dark part, upside-down.


A fairly recent time I was compelled to blush and giggle when reading a picture upside-down was while visiting a cafe in Munich after a falling-out and before going to see a play, while on vacation. I was sitting there and Carla handed me her business card. She told me to look at it upside-down, put the top kunckle of my righthand index finger on the c, in "carla" and extend my finger over the "carla" down to the lefthand corner. This took awhile in German, but it worked. I have found the business online and turned that image upside-down, too, though I don't think one can see it so well here:




Perhaps later will add ones by Stifter of the soft moon "eating up" the sun.



Here's a link to more Stifterbilder, including the Watzmann and others: http://jm.saliege.com/maler.htm

Keine Kommentare: