Dienstag, 28. August 2007

Mondfinsternis: blood red, witnessed or experienced

Well, I pretty much slept through it, but supposedly it was spectacular, with the moon turning blood-red early this morning. Now I have the next one in my schedule book. It had to do with Stifter, but I'm saving expounding on that for the next Mondfinsternis. The idea of climbing out and up to see it reminds me of the Calvino story in Cosmicomics where the surface of the moon is gathered and harvested. I think a Mondfinsternis celebration is a good occasion for reading moon-related material like Faust and poems and more by candlelight with some wine.

I have noticed something perhaps noteworthy, minorly personal.
Before, I've always lived with or had women all around me, and found that often we were all menstrual at the same time & the currents of our bodies somehow synched into one another after a few months. This wasn't really coinciding with anything else.

This year has been my first experience ever living with a guy who is not related to me, and having my office be otherwise all male, and not so many women around. And have found that my cycle has become much more regular, and also, always coincides with the full moon. Nature is interesting indeed, and the moon-- Semele in myth-- probably turns blood red during an eclipse for a good reason, but I have to admit that I find it unsettling that this is something I have no control over.

Perhaps there is comfort, however, in feeling supervised by something bigger than oneself.

2 Kommentare:

Alok hat gesagt…

I was struck by your last sentence. What a strange thought...

j.b.s. hat gesagt…

Hiya Alok,

Well, the word "supervison" is an interesting one here to me, too. I found it when reading about the goddess Mena, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mena_(mythology)

It comes from St. Augustine's "City of God," supposedly.

Of course, studies seem to show that the whole connection has more to do with light and melatonin than other things like gravitational pulls, etc.