Mittwoch, 2. April 2008

Temptations of Holy Antonius


Today after a busy day at some of my workplaces, I went here. (Picture above)

Picture after picture of an older woman tempting St. Antonius by offering him a younger one, combined with demons which are combinations of various animals and other things. What I think is that the guy must have been gay, or really had some complexes. He was torn up and simply aufgefressen by the desire he must reject while adhering to his book. Most often, he was in a grotto.

It's pretty funny, the women painted as temptresses are coming from everywhere; one is even lying naked under a rug at his feet. They showed how the depiction of his struggle evolved in works by different painters over time, from pre-Bosch to Max Ernst and Otto Dix, for example. Then I toured the Rathaus and had some Alsterwasser sitting in some collonades on the Alster and visited a perfume store before returning to my relatives, at which point I reeked of all kinds of different colognes and perfumes because I couldn't decide on a definitive scent for awhile, or even whether I wanted it to be more masculine or more feminine.

Also saw some good exhibits in Berlin, went to a party, ran all around the city and even saw a performance of the Sorrows of Young Werther done for this century. Time there both exhausted and energized me, and reminded again that I wouldn't want to live there permanently, but rather visit for awhile. It's too big! There are too many people! I just love being able to do the language things and people not asking me at all anymore if they should speak English; perhaps faster on the draw of whipping out some German rather than just standing there looking shy and foreign. Still getting used to the new profession and its people, feel there's room to grow.

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.