Montag, 1. September 2008

current events

First of all, what's with naming a hurricane "Gustav"? Is that supposed to evoke Mahler's music? I think it's just another thing used to scare U.S.A. people of those destructive, stormy, foreign, complicated, educated influences. The connotation is almost, "those degenerate hurricanes and forces of nature will be our downfall as a nation."

Second of all. Palin. She doesn't even care about the endangered polar bears, she wants to drill oil and destroy national park/forest/refuge to do so, and the whole snowmobile and mooseburger thing. I find her completely and totally problematic, for any number of reasons and from pretty much every angle. A friend wondered why she gave all her kids dog names. Okay, sex education was in some ways useless to me, as it pretty much excluded the dental dam, so I may be biased about its usefulness or applicability. If she's elected after I vote, I'll have a good reason to leave the U.S. again.

Keine Kommentare: