Montag, 8. September 2008

the swifts

first, a correction: the national hurricane center has an arbirtrary list of names to assign the hurricanes, and Gustav's number was up when the hurricane formed.

Now, the better stuff:
tonight went to see the swifts. They looked like this:



This took place during sunset, it reminded me of Prague. The people I was with were nice and brought picnic food, some had attended the event for years.

As they were finally flying into the chimney, what the audubon society (who had a table set up) said was a peregrine (it was truly hard to tell) flew in twice to get an unsuspecting swift as it was trying to go to bed. There were still some swifts lingering outside of the chimney when all the others were safely esconced, and my theory is that they had experienced some sort of chimney trauma at some point... I can't imagine how so many can fit in that space without anyone getting hurt somehow. Miraculous.

1 Kommentar:

Danielle hat gesagt…

I found your blog by following a link for Natalie Stutzmann. I'm always surprised to discover someone who knows of her. I'm a fan of alto,d countertenor, contralto and (some) mezzo range. Love the resonance! I was impressed by the number of subjects I enjoyed in your blog... opera, tango (I've been learning Argentine tango after years of other ballroom), hiking, poetry and environmentalism. I'm sure you know how unusual that constellation is. What a delight to find someone else who enjoys all of those!