Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007

cutting more than pasting

Because I want to get a dinky job for the short term which might grow, or with which I could at least work in one place for awhile rather than going around everywhere-- not that it's not fun, it's just that I want to devote energy in one place and then be done for the day while pursuing big things. So I've kept getting the "overqualfied" dismissal, some places won't even interview. I've sought various advice about what to do.

Today I went at my resume again, and deleted a degree, a certification, all conferences, all fellowships, some publications, almost all leadership roles, all test scores, etc. Somehow I managed to make some jobs look a bit more administrative: "greeting people, providing information, monitoring shared spaces." I could also emphasize my ability to design posters. The hard part was deciding how to account for time without indicating that I may have some other degree or so I'm not disclosing. So at the very bottom, I ultimately decided to account for it with my hobbies under "other work experiences," listed under "Experience living/working abroad (about 5 years)" and "Experience teaching abroad and in the U.S." Then I was able to put my computing experience at the top, and it looks like perhaps I was working freelance as a consultant at the U. or something, just helping people out with their computers and getting paid for it. The only thing I added was my highschool diploma. I think I'm still screwed if they google me, however, so perhaps I'll start going by my middle name instead.

Keine Kommentare: