Mittwoch, 30. Jänner 2008

hats

I've been getting used to operating in the corporate world... an adjustment, and generally cool. It's allowed me to abandon some of the stereotypes I had about it, I meet interesting people in my building every day, on the elevator or other places.

I've realized that I'm several people there rolled into one: translator, interpreter, HR, archivist, interior designer and office manager. It's fun to have so much variety.... but sometimes I look at the publications and at the meeting rooms, and realize that it's all men in there in the top positions, and that I'm doing things which are more stereotypically female. Which makes me wonder how to break through that, and I've decided to study more about how this may be done, the top of the list being increasing my portfolio of computer capabilities, to zero in more on what's needed there to be a computer guy or top management as well. It's actually sort of invigorating; my grad school composition was largely female, and it didn't really feel that I was doing anything new or pioneering in terms of being a grad student there. At the same time, at the time I entered, needed a bit of respite, which did not work out to be quite that, but perhaps was able to find it between the cracks... Had another female colleague in the office today, and interviewed her about her background and so on to find out more about how she ended up at the building site, which is 95% male, at least. For now I'm a fly on the wall figuring out how things are done, and doing what my skills allow me to, and being inventive where my experience fails, and it's not been difficult. So, aok so far...

Keine Kommentare: