Sonntag, 20. Jänner 2008

U-haul disappearing into the sunset-- truck girl

today: difficult day.

first: tire change. oil change. they wanted to do more to the vehicle, but I said tell me what you think needs to be done, and I'll look into it in P-town.

then: u-haul car trailer enterprise. goal: get car attached to U-haul truck. Truck: parked in eastlake. me and car: had stayed overnight in greenlake. U-haul branch: Rainier Valley.

called u-haul branch to see where I could pick up the trailer I'd reserved. Were busy and said they'd call me back. I hang out for an hour with my book and some coffee. Called 411 and got dir. listings for other U-haul places in Seattle. Chose the most convenient one. Tried them four different times over an hour and nobody picked up the phone. Tried original branch again, again they took my number and said they'd call back. Frustrated, called the 1-800 Uhaul number. Expressed need to get trailer asap at convenient location. Nobody seemed to really know anything. Transferred 4 times, and eventually hung up on. Frustration level is red-hot. Decide to just drive to Rainier Valley. Stand in line. They say they need the actual truck present to do anything. It's two bus connections... on a Sunday. Hey, at least got to see Benaroya again. Get U-haul truck from Eastlake and drive it to Rainier Valley. Wait in line. They wanted to give me one of three trailers, on all of which the winches were too rusty to use. I reached boiling point and threw a fit. The woman in uniform who was heading the enterprise said to give me the new one, the good and working one, which had just come in. I put my car onto the trailer and hooked everything up, and chained and winched it.

Hopped into the truck.
Got on I-5 at 4pm.
Drove off into a beautiful sunset listening to some international music station, first indian than irish.

I actually like driving a truck, one can do 70mph quite easily, unless there's wind, in which case it becomes difficult to steer. Made it to P-town at night, drove my car off the trailer, unhooked it, dropped it off, parked my car securely there. Transferred belongings from car to truck, on the way, a plate broke. A good omen for a start of a new relationship with a new city and new company.... Then found a hotel near the rental agency. Have found some wine and have the moving guys I found on craig's list set to go tomorrow early after I sign some papers. Didn't end up in the lovely Queen Marie, but nearby, which is also close to work.

For awhile lost The White Castle, which had fallen between the passenger seat and the door, and in the meantime, on the bus, started another book I had in my bag, The Illusionist-- not the one which was made into a film, but the French one, in which the 15 year old girl is seduced by her father's mistress. I found that at Third Sister Books (I think that's what it's called...) in Vancouver... loved the preface, and chapter 1...

Keine Kommentare: