Samstag, 17. November 2007

sunspots

a good day yesterday, even some spots of sun. busy. a quiet day at work and listened to the Zauberfloete on the computer there all day. c. picked me up from work and we went to have some fondue and something to drink at the b&o on the way home and then did phone conversations and opening things, c had left things all over my room and apartment for me to discover when I returned, and even found a bouquet with jalapenos in it. it was wonderful that she could visit. then went to dinner at the ballroom and met two pals for a drink, but decided to call it an early night because we needed to get up at 5:30 to take c. to the airport; she has to work today. so tonight will be the salsa dancing and today I went to bed after going to the airport and slept really late. people at work somehow found out it was my birthday, and gave me a cupcake, & the temp agency sent me a card. I think that's the first time any workplace has done anything for me on my birthday. I also put my hundertwasser pictures up in my workspace. all the other clinics put their admin. behind glass panels and near escape doors to protect them from the dangerously mentally ill, but I don't have a glass panel or handy escape route unless I try to jump out a window or hide under my desk. I've never really felt unsafe, but yesterday one of the clients who wasn't quite all there kept hitting on me and trying to get a date and asking personal questions. This was in the presence of two other clients, one of whom was blind. So the guy sits down again in the waiting area after I try "I'm busy," "why do you want to know?" and so on, and time elapses. Then the blind client, who could not see that the guy was still there, was like "how uncomfortable" and went off about the incident in front of the guy, who still gave me a leery smile and hinted that he wanted to see me outside of work when he left. it's been interesting work.....

still lots to think about and adjust to. feel like only now can I begin to be objective about my academic work, after getting some distance and breathing space on it, and feeling safer.

I guess I feel like I'm getting old, too.

c. also brought me "galleys" (advance reader's editions, uncorrected bound proofs) of Schlink's Homecoming and Hershon's The German Bride, along with "real" editions of Atwood's Penelopeia, and Hofstaedter's I am a Strange Loop, all of which I'm looking forward to reading.

Keine Kommentare: